Friday, March 6, 2009

Day Ten- March 6







Mark 8:33

But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, ‘Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.’

Reflection

Poor Peter! Such harsh words of rebuke were directed at him. Don't forget that Peter had just confessed, moments earlier in verse 29, that Jesus was the messiah, and yet Jesus calls Peter Satan. It was Satan who set out to change Jesus' course at the beginning of his minstry with temptations galore. Peter was surely responding to Jesus from his loving heart. No one wants to see a beloved suffer.

Setting our minds on divine things rather than human ones is Jesus' word to Peter, and to us. Setting our mind on divine things, like love and grace, would certainly alter our perspectives and our days. It's easy to say, though hard always to do, but it's a compelling Lenten practice to work on setting our minds on divine things.

Prayer

O God, when I cannot find the words and when I will not: when it is distracting and difficult to set my mind on divine things, embrace me in my humanness, hear my prayer, and help me to set my heart on you. Amen.


art: Wisdom's Path by Jan Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment